Fla. International edges W. Kentucky 81-79
MIAMI (AP)—Freddy Asprilla scored a career-high 21 points and Michael Dominguez added 20 as Florida International knocked off Western Kentucky 81-79 on Thursday night and snapped the Hilltoppers’ eight-game Sun Belt Conference road winning streak.
The Golden Panthers (6-11, 1-3) set season highs for points scored, field goals, free-throw percentage and fewest turnovers in a game, but had to hang on at the end to win.
Florida International, which had lost seven of its previous eight games, led 36-33 at halftime and by as many as 15 points, 72-57, with 6:24 left.
Western Kentucky (9-6, 3-1) closed to within two at 74-72 on a Steffphon Pettigrew 3-pointer with 3:08 to play. But the Golden Panthers, who entered the game converting less than 62 percent from the free-throw line, made 7-of-8 foul shots down the stretch.
Pettigrew led the Hilltoppers with 28 points.
- The Hunt: No. 56, Seton Hall
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan