Va. Commonwealth beats Drexel 75-46
PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Joey Rodriguez scored 16 points on 4-of-5 shooting from 3-point range to lead Virginia Commonwealth to a 75-46 victory over Drexel on Thursday night.
Rodriguez’s 3-pointer with 15:33 remaining capped off a 16-3 run to start the second half that gave Virginia Commonwealth a commanding 51-31 lead. The Rams (10-5, 3-1 Colonial Athletic Association) won their second straight game while going 9-for-12 from 3-point range and shooting 51 percent from the floor.
Bradford Burgess and Larry Sanders each chipped in 13 points for Virginia Commonwealth.
Samme Givens scored 11 points and Gerald Colds had 10 for Drexel (5-8, 1-3) as the Dragons were outscored 40-18 in the second half for their second straight loss.
Drexel pulled within four points after a layup by Givens with 26 seconds left in the first half, but Burgess hit a 3-pointer as time expired to give the Rams a 35-28 edge at the break.
- Va. Commonwealth beats Drexel 75-46
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?