High Point beats Winthrop 42-40
ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP)—Cruz Daniels’ putback with 2.4 seconds on the clock lifted High Point to a 42-40 win over Winthrop on Wednesday night.
With the win, the Panthers (5-9, 1-3 Big South Conference) halted a four-game losing streak this season, and a 12-game road losing streak to the Eagles (2-11, 1-3).
After Winthrop took a 40-37 advantage, High Point’s Eugene Harris tied the game at 40 on a 3-pointer with 1:12 left to play.
David Singleton missed a layup and Daniels brought down the rebound before hitting the putback for the win.
Steadman Short led the Panthers with nine points and 11 rebounds. David Singleton added 10 boards for High Point.
Cameron Stanley scored a game-high 10 points for the Eagles, who lost their 11th game in 12 tries.
- One fan’s penance for not believing in VCU: running a marathon
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan