George Mason defeats Towson 71-59
TOWSON, Md. (AP)—Darryl Monroe had 16 points and 10 rebounds, Cam Long added 13 points and George Mason beat Towson 71-59 on Wednesday night.
Dre Smith scored 11 points for the Patriots (11-3, 4-0 Colonial Athletic Association), who have beaten the Tigers 13 straight times. George Mason has won three straight and nine of 10 overall.
Josh Thornton scored 14 points and Tony Franklin 10 for Towson (7-9, 2-2), which was denied a season-high third straight victory. Junior Hairston grabbed 11 rebounds.
Monroe was dominant inside early, scoring eight points as George Mason built an early 22-8 lead. The Tigers never got closer than 30-22 on Thornton’s 3-pointer with 1:05 left in the first half.
Towson finished with a 37-32 edge in rebounds, but shot only 20-for-52 from the field and 4-for-18 from 3-point range.
The Patriots converted 17 Tiger turnovers into 20 points.
- George Mason defeats Towson 71-59
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game