East Carolina edges Tulane 69-66
GREENVILLE, N.C. (AP)—James Legan scored 12 of his 15 points in the second half and East Carolina held off Tulane 69-66 Wednesday night in the Conference USA opener for both teams.
The Pirates (9-5, 1-0) snapped a four-game losing streak this season and a seven-game losing streak to the Green Wave (6-8, 0-1).
East Carolina made 27 of 33 free throws, including 8 of 10 in the final 1:51, but Brock Young missed two foul shots with 16 seconds left. Tulane’s Daniel Puckett hit a 3-pointer with 2 seconds remaining for 67-66, then Sam Hinnant made two free throws to clinch the win.
Tulane led 33-31 at halftime, but East Carolina went on a 19-7 run to start the second half and lead 50-40. The Green Wave tied the game at 61 with 2:19 left.
Hinnant added 14 points for East Carolina.
Puckett led Tulane with 22 points. Eric Vianney added 13 and Asim McQueen had 11.
- Washington-Oregon Preview
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four