Free throws lead URI to 86-77 win over Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP)—Kahiem Seawright had 16 points and went 4-for-4 on free throws as Rhode Island beat Toledo 86-77 Tuesday night at Savage Arena.
The Rockets and the Rams had 32 field goals each, including eight three pointers per team. Toledo lost the game on free throws, hitting just 5-of-18 to Rhode Island’s 14-of-22. It was the 10th straight game during which Toledo made 10 or fewer free throws.
Rhode Island (11-4) also scored 24 points off turnovers to Toledo’s eight. The Rams had a five-point lead at the break, and pulled ahead by as many as 13 points in the second half.
Jimmy Baron added another 16 points for the Rams, Keith Cothran scored 15 and Will Martell had 12. Toledo (2-12) was led by Tyrone Kent’s 29 points, Jonathan Amos added 13 and Anthony Byrd scored 11; Mohamed Lo had 17 rebounds.
It was the Rockets’ seventh consecutive loss. Rhode Island leads the series 3-1, with Toledo’s only win over the Rams in 1942.
- No. 17 Villanova beats Providence 94-91
- Texas basketball coach Smart gets raise, contract extension
- Calipari hosts charity softball for Louisiana flood relief
- Arizona's Talbott Denny injures knee, out for season
- Tennessee permitted to hire new AD before Hart's exit date
- Shawn Forrest named assistant coach for Jankovich at SMU
- Villanova-Providence Preview
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims