Bernardini scores 18 as Penn beats Lafayette 84-70
PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Tyler Bernardini scored 18 points and Zack Rosen added a career-high 17, leading five Penn players in double figures as the Quakers defeated Lafayette 84-70 Tuesday night.
Brennan Votel added 16 points for Penn (3-7), while Ryan Willen had 17 points and Michael Gruner and Andrew Brown 12 each for Lafayette (4-10).
Lafayette led 21-19 with 5:39 left in the first half before Penn started hitting from long range. Bernardini and Rosen hit back-to-back 3-pointers, igniting a 19-3 run that was capped by another 3 by Jack Eggleston at the halftime buzzer, giving the Quakers a 38-24 advantage.
Penn hit five of its first six shots of the second half, four of them 3-pointers, to take a 52-26 with 16:32 left.
The Quakers led 66-44 with 7:40 to go before Willen sparked a 17-4 run, cutting the lead to 70-61 with 2:55 remaining, but Eggleston then hit another 3-pointer to end the threat.
Penn now leads the series 38-4. The Leopards have never beaten the Quakers at Penn’s Palestra dating to 1918.
- Catching up with Sam Bowie, draft bust turned racehorse owner
- Canisius hires Reggie Witherspoon as basketball coach
- Clemson signs another transfer, ex-Valparaiso F David Skara
- Lee will transfer from Kentucky, Briscoe returning to school
- Purdue's Swanigan will return to school for sophomore season
- White takes name out of NBA draft pool to return to Huskers