Utah St. holds off Idaho, 70-61
LOGAN, Utah (AP)—Jared Quayle scored 18 points and Gary Wilkinson added 17 to lead Utah State past Idaho 70-61 Monday night.
Wilkinson also pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds for the Aggies (13-1, 1-0 Western Athletic Conference).
Pooh Williams added 11.
Idaho pulled to a 54-51 score with 7:11 to play when Kashif Watson made a driving layup, but USU dropped in nine free throws in the final minutes to keep the lead.
Although USU had 17 turnovers and the Vandals gained 12 steals against them, the Aggies had 36 rebounds to the visitors’ 19.
USU used an 18-4 run early in the first half to take a 30-14 lead, as they shot 5-of-6 from the 3-point line. But the Vandals went on a 10-1 run to stay close. USU led at halftime 40-34.
Watson led the Vandals (7-8, 1-1 WAC) in scoring with 15. Marvin Jefferson and Mac Hopson had 12.
- Utah St. holds off Idaho, 70-61
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown