VMI edges Charleston Southern 93-90
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP)—Austin Kenon had 26 points and Virginia Military Institute held off Charleston Southern 93-90 on Monday night.
VMI (12-2) has won eight straight games and 11 of its past 12. The Keydets are 4-0 in the Big South Conference for the first time since the 1976-77 season.
Willie Bell hit 3 of 4 free throws in the final 29 seconds for VMI and Omar Carter missed two tying 3-point attempts in the last 10 seconds.
The Keydets led 44-43 at halftime, then the Buccaneers had an 8-2 spurt to lead 51-46.
Tied at 72 with 7:50 left, VMI used a 12-5 run to pull ahead for good, although Charleston Southern (5-8, 1-2) cut the lead to two points three times in the last 45 seconds.
Hunter Houston added 18 points and Bell had 17 for the Keydets, who hit 15 of 37 3-pointers.
Jamarco Warren led six Buccaneers in double figures with 22 points.
- Crazy missed dunk by Jamar Samuels goes down yet pops out
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims