Evansville rallies to 65-59 win over Indiana State
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (AP)—Shy Ely scored 24 points and Nate Garner added 21 as Evansville rallied from behind in the closing minutes for a 65-59 victory Sunday over Indiana State.
Indiana State (3-11, 1-2 Missouri Valley) dominated the first half and the first five minutes of the second half before Evansville made its move. The Purple Aces (10-3, 2-1) owed their comeback largely to Ely, who scored 12 of Evansville’s final 18 points.
The Aces took their first lead of the game, 57-56, with 1:41 remaining on an Ely bucket off an offensive rebound. Another bucket by Ely, and two free throws by Jason Holsinger put Evansville on top, 61-58, with 21 seconds left.
Indiana State, which got 16 points from Harry Marshall, wasn’t able to recover. Aaron Carter added 11 points for the Sycamores, who shot 50 percent for the game.
Evansville managed just 36 percent, but connected on 21 of 27 free throws— 14 of those in the second half.
- Barack Obama to attend Duke-Georgetown game
- Freshmen Leaf and Ball help No. 2 UCLA beat Michigan 102-84
- Karnowski leads No. 8 Gonzaga to 1st 10-0 start in history
- No. 3 Jayhawks cruise to 89-72 victory over Nebraska
- Happ helps No. 17 Wisconsin brush past Marquette 93-84
- Alkins leads No. 20 Arizona past Missouri, 79-60