Winthrop holds on to defeat Liberty 59-57
ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP)—Byron Faison scored a career-high 16 points to help Winthrop snap a 10-game losing streak with a 59-57 win over Liberty on Saturday night.
Faison hit four 3-pointers, including one with 12:35 left in the second half to give Winthrop (2-10, 1-2 Big South Conference) a 44-32 lead.
Liberty (10-4, 1-1) battled back to tie the score at 55-55 when Kyle Ohman hit a jumper with 2:13 remaining before Winthrop regained the lead on Cameron Stanley’s jump shot.
The Flames cut the margin to 57-56 on a free throw but the Eagles held on.
Charles Corbin scored 12 points, reaching double figures for the sixth straight game and seventh time this season. Reggie Middleton added 10 for the Eagles.
Anthony Smith led the Flames with 24 points and Seth Curry finished with 18.
- Wisconsin beats Iowa 69-52, continues rebound
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims