Gonzalves scores 20, leads Richmond over Rice
RICHMOND, Va. (AP)—David Gonzalves scored 20 points and Richmond routed Rice 74-43 on Saturday.
The Spiders (8-6) scored 16 straight points midway through the first half to take a 29-11 lead. Francis-Cedric Martel started the spurt with a 3-pointer followed by a layup and Justin Harper capped the run with another 3.
During the more than five-minute span, the Owls (5-9) missed twice from the field and had six turnovers.
The Spiders scored 21 points off 13 Rice turnovers and led 37-17 at halftime.
Rice began the second half outscoring the Spiders 9-3, but Richmond answered with a 14-2 run. Harper had eight of his 16 points during the run and Rice could get no closer than 24 the rest of the way.
Harper also had a career-high nine rebounds. Kevin Hovde had a season-high 10 points, hitting all four field goals he attempted. Ten different Spiders scored and Richmond tallied a season-high 13 three-pointers. Richmond’s defense held Rice to a season-low in points, 25 under their 68.2 average.
Lawrence Ghoram led the Owls with 10 points.
- And Syracuse officially loses any right to complain this year
- Where does 2017 North Carolina rank among Roy Williams' best teams at UNC?
- North Carolina lawmakers agree to repeal HB2 right before NCAA deadline, but new bill isn't full reversal
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Dayton hires former Alabama and VCU coach Anthony Grant
- Top 3 NCAA Tourney Gaffes...in Legos
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season