Southern U. beats Texas-Southern 61-51
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Chris Davis scored 17 points to lead Southern University to a 61-51 victory over Texas Southern on Saturday night for the Jaguars’ first victory of the season.
Desmond Griffin scored 12 points and Barry Honore added 10 and grabbed nine rebounds for the Jaguars (1-12, 1-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference).
Ricky Boyles led the Tigers (0-14, 0-1) with 14 points and Deandre Hall scored 11.
Both teams shot 32.1 percent from the field (9 of 28) in a close first half, which Southern ended on a 7-3 run to take a five point halftime lead. But the Jaguars shot slightly better than the Tigers in the second half—46.2 percent (12 of 26) compared to 44 percent (11 of 25)—to seal the win.
Southern scored 14 points off 22 Texas Southern turnovers, and had 12 fastbreak points in the game.
- Southern U. beats Texas-Southern 61-51
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown