Southern U. beats Texas-Southern 61-51
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Chris Davis scored 17 points to lead Southern University to a 61-51 victory over Texas Southern on Saturday night for the Jaguars’ first victory of the season.
Desmond Griffin scored 12 points and Barry Honore added 10 and grabbed nine rebounds for the Jaguars (1-12, 1-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference).
Ricky Boyles led the Tigers (0-14, 0-1) with 14 points and Deandre Hall scored 11.
Both teams shot 32.1 percent from the field (9 of 28) in a close first half, which Southern ended on a 7-3 run to take a five point halftime lead. But the Jaguars shot slightly better than the Tigers in the second half—46.2 percent (12 of 26) compared to 44 percent (11 of 25)—to seal the win.
Southern scored 14 points off 22 Texas Southern turnovers, and had 12 fastbreak points in the game.
- Southern U. beats Texas-Southern 61-51
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense