Western Carolina pulls away from Furman 68-57
GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP)—Brandon Giles scored 25 points and had eight rebounds to lift Western Carolina to a 68-57 victory over Furman on Saturday.
Giles scored 20 points in the second half to help the Catamounts (6-5, 1-1 Southern Conference) snap a three-game losing streak.
Furman (2-9, 0-2) has not defeated a Division I opponent this season.
Western Carolina led 52-51 with 5:18 left but Giles dunked, Brigham Waginger hit a layup and Giles nailed a 3-pointer to increase the lead to 59-52 with 4:02 remaining in the game.
Giles’ three-point play gave the Catamounts a 62-53 advantage with 3:11 left.
Harouna Mutombo and Jake Robinson scored 11 points each for Western Carolina.
Justin Dehm led Furman, which shot only 39.1 percent from the field (18 of 46), with 13 points. Bryson Barnes added 10 points.
- Western Carolina pulls away from Furman 68-57
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set