Western Carolina pulls away from Furman 68-57
GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP)—Brandon Giles scored 25 points and had eight rebounds to lift Western Carolina to a 68-57 victory over Furman on Saturday.
Giles scored 20 points in the second half to help the Catamounts (6-5, 1-1 Southern Conference) snap a three-game losing streak.
Furman (2-9, 0-2) has not defeated a Division I opponent this season.
Western Carolina led 52-51 with 5:18 left but Giles dunked, Brigham Waginger hit a layup and Giles nailed a 3-pointer to increase the lead to 59-52 with 4:02 remaining in the game.
Giles’ three-point play gave the Catamounts a 62-53 advantage with 3:11 left.
Harouna Mutombo and Jake Robinson scored 11 points each for Western Carolina.
Justin Dehm led Furman, which shot only 39.1 percent from the field (18 of 46), with 13 points. Bryson Barnes added 10 points.
- Western Carolina pulls away from Furman 68-57
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown