VMI edges Richmond 73-70
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Chavis Holmes scored 15 points in the last three minutes and hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 11 seconds left as Virginia Military Institute rallied to defeat Richmond 73-70 on Wednesday night.
The Keydets (10-2) extended their winning streak to six games and have won nine of the last 10, their best run since 1990.
After Holmes’ 3-pointer put VMI up 71-69, Richmond’s Kevin Anderson made the front end of a 1-and-1 for 71-70. Holmes added two free throws with 3 seconds left to finish with 23 points.
The Spiders (7-6) led 37-33 at halftime and built a 65-58 lead with 4:18 left. That’s when Holmes went to work, making two 3s, a jumper and seven free throws.
Travis Holmes added 19 points and Austin Kenon had 16 for VMI.
Anderson had 23 points for Richmond, his 22nd straight game in double figures, and David Gonzalvez had 11, his 14th straight.
- VMI edges Richmond 73-70
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested', 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look