W. Carolina 78, N.C.-Asheville 81
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP)—Reid Augst scored 18 and John Williams added 17 in North Carolina-Asheville’s 81-78 win over Western Carolina on Wednesday.
Augst and Williams scored four points apiece during a pivotal Bulldogs’ (4-8) run.
Western Carolina (5-4), which led by as many as 12 points with 3:34 to play in the first half, led 46-38 with 17:35 left in the game. The Bulldogs then went on a 10-2 run to tie the game at 48. After three lead changes, Williams hit a free throw with 6:47 left to give Asheville a 68-67 lead that the Catamounts would never overcome.
Sean Smith added 13 points and Eric Stubbs pitched in 12 for the Bulldogs, who shot 53.2 percent from the field (25 of 47).
Harouna Mutombo scored 19 and Brigham Waginger added 16 points for the Catamounts.
- Rick Pitino's recruiting tactics slightly slimy, very common
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67
- Stephen F Austin cruises against Northwestern State, 83-72
- No. 2 Maryland relies on Big Ten's best defense to win