Powell lifts Santa Barbara past Ball State 71-51
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP)—James Powell scored 15 points and UC Santa Barbara preserved a large first-half lead for a 71-51 win over Ball State on Monday.
Powell, who scored 12 of his points before halftime, hit back-to-back 3s during a 16-2 run to end the first half, putting Santa Barbara ahead 41-23.
Jordan Weiner scored 11 points and hit all three of his 3-point attempts in his first start for the Gauchos (6-6). Chris Devine and James Nunnally each scored 12.
Anthony Newell led Ball State (5-6) with 14 points and nine rebounds.
Brawley Chisholm made a trio of 3-pointers during a 90-second barrage in the first half to bring the Cardinals within 25-21, but the Gauchos outscored them by 14 points before halftime.
- Wake Forest-Boston College Preview
- University of Louisville president's resignation accepted
- NCAA rules Florida's Gak ineligible to play in 2016-17
- Iowa State's Prohm adds former Alabama coach to staff
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges