N.C. State holds off Loyola, Md. 62-60
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Ben McCauley had 16 points and North Carolina State got a key defensive stop in the final seconds to hold off Loyola of Maryland 62-60 on Monday night.
Courtney Fells added 11 points for the Wolfpack (8-2), who twice blew double-digit leads before finally bouncing back from last week’s last-second loss to Marquette. N.C. State led by 14 points in the opening minutes and by 16 with 8 1/2 minutes left before surviving a tense final few minutes for the win.
Marquis Sullivan scored 21 points for the Greyhounds (4-8), who had a chance to win while trailing 61-60 in the final 20 seconds. But as Jamal Barney drove the left side, McCauley stepped out and forced him into a tough fadeaway shot that he missed.
Fells added a free throw with 0.3 seconds left after being fouled on the rebound, and Loyola’s final three-quarter court heave came after the horn.
- N.C. State holds off Loyola, Md. 62-60
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1
- Roy Williams fires back at Maryland president, calling him a 'double idiot'
- Zach Collins enters draft, becomes Gonzaga's first one-and-done
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Sources: Michigan State freshman Miles Bridges plans to return to school
- Isaac Humphries' exit means Kentucky may lose eight of its top nine players
- The 12 most intriguing (or confusing) hires of the college basketball coaching carousel