East Tennessee State defeats Kennesaw State 76-62
KENNESAW, Ga. (AP)—Mike Smith and Kevin Tiggs scored 19 points each and East Tennessee State defeated Kennesaw State 76-62 on Tuesday night.
Smith scored 12 of his points in the first half to lead the Buccaneers (8-3, 2-0 Atlantic Sun Conference) to a 34-26 lead at the break.
East Tennessee State scored 20 points off of 19 turnovers, and picked up 40 points in the paint in the win.
Isiah Brown added 18 points and Courtney Pigram chipped in 15 for the Buccaneers.
The game remained in reach for the Owls (5-5, 1-1) for most of the game, as they pulled within 39-37 on a Jon-Michael Nickerson layup with 15:31 left to play.
The Buccaneers then increased their lead to 44-39 with 14:01 left before breaking the game open on a 9-3 run.
Kevin McConnell led the Owls with 18 points and seven assists.
- East Tennessee State defeats Kennesaw State 76-62
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four