Middle Tennessee beats Missouri St. 63-51
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP)—Desmond Yates scored 22 points to lead Middle Tennessee to a 63-51 win over Missouri State on Monday night for first place in the Basketball Builders Tip-Off Tourney.
Yates, the tournament MVP, scored 13 points in the first five minutes as Middle Tennessee (7-5) raced to a 26-8 lead with 10:18 left in the period. The Blue Raiders led by as many as 25 before Missouri State (7-6) staged a 14-3 run to trail 38-24 at halftime.
The Bears opened the second half with an 11-7 run to trail 43-35 after a 3-pointer by Kyle Weems with 15:01 left. But Middle Tennessee built the lead back up to 53-37 with 9:49 remaining, and the Bears got no closer than 10 points after that.
Cardell McFarland led Missouri State with 14 and Weems finished with 12.
Middle Tennessee shot 55.8 percent from the field, compared with 38.5 percent for Missouri State.
- John Wall dunks on Jerry Stackhouse in a bad, bad way
- Top 3 NCAA Tourney Gaffes...in Legos
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does 2017 North Carolina rank among Roy Williams' best teams at UNC?
- North Carolina lawmakers agree to repeal HB2 right before NCAA deadline, but new bill isn't full reversal
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year