New Orleans defeats North Texas 71-65
NEW ORLEANS (AP)—Kyndall Dykes scored 25 points and New Orleans won its Sunbelt Conference home opener 71-65 over North Texas on Monday night.
Dykes made 13 of 20 free throws and had two second half steals to help snap a four-game winning streak by North Texas (8-3, 1-1).
The Privateers (5-6, 1-1) shot 52.2 percent from the field (24 of 56) for its second highest shooting performance of the season.
North Texas, the Sunbelt’s highest scoring team coming into the game at 78.5 points per game, shot 29 percent from the field in the first half (9 of 31), including going 1-for-7 from behind the arc.
T.J. Worley added 16 points for the Privateers and Tyran Jaroslav added 10.
Josh White led the Mean Green with 19 points followed by 13 from Dominique Johnson.
New Orleans hit its first six shots to jump out to a 12-4 lead.
- Illinois and Oakland played seven minutes using a women's ball
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four