Cooks leads Missouri State in win over UC Irvine
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP)—Chris Cooks scored 16 points, including back-to-back 3-pointers late in the game, to lead Missouri State to a 57-48 win over UC Irvine in the Basketball Travelers Tip-Off Tournament.
Missouri State (7-3) was ahead by only one at halftime Sunday, 27-26, and led just 42-40 with 8:03 left after a basket by UC Irvine’s Kevin Bland.
But the Bears pushed their lead to 51-44 with 3:27 left on three straight 3-pointers—one from Justin Fuehrmeyer and two from Cooks.
Missouri State finished with six straight free throws while UC Irvine (1-9) scored a field goal and two free throws in a game that saw five ties, eight lead changes and 26 turnovers.
Both teams shot poorly from the field. Missouri State hit 35.3 percent on 18 of 51 while UC Irvine hit on 18 of 50 for 36 percent.
Spencer Laurie added 10 for Missouri State.
Bland led UC Irvine with 16 points.
- Former UNC player Quentin Thomas tries his hand at rapping
- Oregon stuns Kansas to reach first Final Four in 78 years
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four