Columbia beats Marist 63-58
NEW YORK (AP)—K.J. Matsui scored all 11 of his points in a 7 1/2 -minute span of the second half and Columbia beat Marist 63-58 on Sunday in the third-place game of the Aeropostale Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden.
Norwua Agho had 13 points and Niko Scott added 11 for the Lions (4-6), who lost 64-52 to Virginia Tech in the first round.
Ryan Schneider had 16 points and R.J. Hall added 13 for the Red Foxes (3-8), who lost their fourth straight. Marist lost 65-44 to St. John’s in the opening round.
Matsui had eight points in a 14-0 run that gave Columbia a 55-51 lead with 6:14 to play.
Marist got within one point three times, the last at 59-58 on two free throws by Schneider with 1:25 to play.
After a Columbia turnover, Marist’s Dejuan Goodwin missed a 3-point attempt. Hall got the rebound only to turn the ball over on a short pass with 14 seconds to go.
- Billy Gillispie caps off horrible day for Kentucky coaches
- Dayton hires former Alabama and VCU coach Anthony Grant
- Top 3 NCAA Tourney Gaffes...in Legos
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- North Carolina repeals HB2 on day of NCAA deadline, but new bill isn't full reversal
- Where does 2017 North Carolina rank among Roy Williams' best teams at UNC?
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season