Ball St. holds off Presbyterian comeback, 60-57
MUNCIE, Ind. (AP)—Anthony Newell scored 20 points for Ball State as the Cardinals held off a second-half comeback by Presbyterian for a 60-57 victory on Sunday.
Josh Johnson hit a pair of 3-pointers as the Blue Hose went on an 10-1 run that cut Ball State’s lead to 59-57 when Kevin Davis hit layup with 24 seconds remaining.
Randy Davis hit one of two free-throw shots with 5 seconds left for the Cardinals (5-5), then Kevin Davis missed a last-second three-pointer for Presbyterian that would have tied the game. Johnson led Presbyterian (5-6) with 15 points, while Pierre Miller scored 12.
Presbyterian had cut Ball State’s eight-point halftime lead to two points at 49-47, when the Cardinals scored nine straight to open up their biggest lead.
Malik Perry had 12 rebounds for Ball State as the Cardinals out-rebounded Presbyterian 40-25.
- UConn’s Jeremy Lamb was the West Region’s breakout star
- Peter Jok scores 23, Iowa upsets No. 25 Iowa State 78-64
- Rising Bears: Baylor unranked to No. 4 in less than month
- White leads Colorado to 68-66 win over No. 13 Xavier
- No. 6 Kentucky regroups with 87-63 rout of Valparaiso
- Williams-Goss leads No. 8 Gonzaga over Washington 98-71