Old Dominion defeats Winthrop 66-54
NORFOLK, Va. (AP)—Gerald Lee scored 20 points and Keyon Carter hit two 3-pointers in the final five minutes as Old Dominion held off Winthrop 66-54 on Saturday night.
The Monarchs (6-3) won their fifth straight game and first against Winthrop (1-8). The Eagles, who haven’t won since their Nov. 14 season opener against North Greenville, won the previous two games in the series, 71-65 in 2006-07 and 62-59 last year.
In the first half, both teams combined for 19 turnovers and shot 13-for-50 from the floor. Winthrop was 8-for-29, while ODU didn’t shot any better at 5-for-21.
With the Monarchs up by two points late in the second half, Jonathan Adams blocked Reggie Middleton’s transition layup attempt. On ODU’s next possession, Carter hit a 3-pointer to push ODU’s lead to five, then hit another 3 with 2:31 left for 57-52.
Andre Jones led Winthrop with 13 points.
- Jimmer Fredette’s awesome Sports Illustrated cover
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons