Old Dominion defeats Winthrop 66-54
NORFOLK, Va. (AP)—Gerald Lee scored 20 points and Keyon Carter hit two 3-pointers in the final five minutes as Old Dominion held off Winthrop 66-54 on Saturday night.
The Monarchs (6-3) won their fifth straight game and first against Winthrop (1-8). The Eagles, who haven’t won since their Nov. 14 season opener against North Greenville, won the previous two games in the series, 71-65 in 2006-07 and 62-59 last year.
In the first half, both teams combined for 19 turnovers and shot 13-for-50 from the floor. Winthrop was 8-for-29, while ODU didn’t shot any better at 5-for-21.
With the Monarchs up by two points late in the second half, Jonathan Adams blocked Reggie Middleton’s transition layup attempt. On ODU’s next possession, Carter hit a 3-pointer to push ODU’s lead to five, then hit another 3 with 2:31 left for 57-52.
Andre Jones led Winthrop with 13 points.
- Old Dominion defeats Winthrop 66-54
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested', 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look