Adams leads Rebels to win over Arizona
LAS VEGAS (AP)—UNLV’s Wink Adams scored a season-high 25 points, including five 3-pointers in the second half, as the Runnin’ Rebels pulled away in the second half for a 79-64 win over Arizona on Saturday.
For the game, Adams converted a career-high seven 3-pointers on 12 attempts. He also had five rebounds and two steals.
Sophomore guard Tre’Von Willis scored a career-high 19 points and grabbed six rebounds and Rene Rougeau added 12 points and nine rebounds for the Rebels (10-2), who outscored the Wildcats 16-2 to turn a tight 40-36 lead into a comfortable 56-38 advantage.
Chase Budinger led the Wildcats (7-3) with 22 points and five rebounds. Jordan Hill added 16 points and 13 rebounds for Arizona, which next hosts Kansas on Tuesday night.
The Wildcats cut the lead to 58-46 with 8:34 to go, but got no closer as Adams hit a 3-pointer and Willis hit two more, making it 67-48 with just over seven minutes left.
UNLV led most of the first half, taking the lead for good at 13-10. The Rebels had a 32-27 lead at halftime thanks to a 3-pointer by Adams with four seconds left before halftime.
The game drew 16,667 thanks in part to many Arizona fans who made the trip to see their football team play in the Las Vegas Bowl against BYU a few hours after the basketball game was played.
- Even Duke benchwarmers get senior night tribute videos
- Arizona's Talbott Denny injures knee, out for season
- Tennessee permitted to hire new AD before Hart's exit date
- Shawn Forrest named assistant coach for Jankovich at SMU
- Former Butler basketball star Joel Cornette dies at age 35
- Hamilton signs with Texas Tech after 3 seasons at DePaul