Xavier, N.O. defeats Alcorn State 68-49
LORMAN, Miss. (AP)—Shaun Dumas scored 20 points and Kelechi Okoroha added 18 points and 12 rebounds to lift Xavier of New Orleans to a 68-49 win over Alcorn State on Saturday.
Although Xavier (7-3), an NAIA Division I team, counted the game as an exhibition, it was the Gold Rush’s first win against an NCAA Division I opponent since a 76-71 victory at Southern on Nov. 13, 2000.
Despite 28 points from Troy Jackson, the Braves (2-9) lost their third straight and first home game of the season. No other Alcorn State player scored more than seven points.
The Gold Rush took a 10-0 lead in the first eight minutes. Alcorn State tied the score at 13-13, but trailed 32-18 at halftime.
Xavier shot 50 percent from the field (22 of 44), while the Braves shot only 24.6 percent (16 of 65).
Olumide Olafioye added 12 points for the Gold Rush and Michael Harvey had 10.
- Appalachian State beats UMKC 81-71
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67
- Stephen F Austin cruises against Northwestern State, 83-72
- No. 2 Maryland relies on Big Ten's best defense to win