Xavier, N.O. defeats Alcorn State 68-49
LORMAN, Miss. (AP)—Shaun Dumas scored 20 points and Kelechi Okoroha added 18 points and 12 rebounds to lift Xavier of New Orleans to a 68-49 win over Alcorn State on Saturday.
Although Xavier (7-3), an NAIA Division I team, counted the game as an exhibition, it was the Gold Rush’s first win against an NCAA Division I opponent since a 76-71 victory at Southern on Nov. 13, 2000.
Despite 28 points from Troy Jackson, the Braves (2-9) lost their third straight and first home game of the season. No other Alcorn State player scored more than seven points.
The Gold Rush took a 10-0 lead in the first eight minutes. Alcorn State tied the score at 13-13, but trailed 32-18 at halftime.
Xavier shot 50 percent from the field (22 of 44), while the Braves shot only 24.6 percent (16 of 65).
Olumide Olafioye added 12 points for the Gold Rush and Michael Harvey had 10.
- Xavier, N.O. defeats Alcorn State 68-49
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four