Alabama State defeats Auburn-Montgomery 73-64
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP)—Andrew Hayles scored 16 points and Alabama State made 72 percent of its field goals in the second half to defeat Auburn-Montgomery 73-64 on Friday night.
Alabama State (2-6), coming off a tough 85-81 loss to Mississippi, snapped a three-game losing streak.
The Senators (11-2) are ranked No. 8 in the latest NAIA Division I poll.
The Hornets led 29-28 at halftime as both teams struggled from the field in the first half. In the second half, Alabama State made 18 of 25 shots while AUM made 14 of 31 (45.2 percent).
The Hornets outrebounded the Senators 35-34.
Brandon Brooks added 15 points and nine assists for Alabama State, while Chief Kickingstallionsims had 14 points and Roland Fitch chipped in 12.
Robert Johnson and Kim Small scored 15 points apiece for AUM and Ronnie Hickman had 10.
- Alabama State defeats Auburn-Montgomery 73-64
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense