Western Kentucky beats South Alabama 69-66
MOBILE, Ala. (AP)—A.J. Slaughter scored 21 points to lead Western Kentucky to a 69-66 win over South Alabama in both teams’ conference opener Thursday night.
The Hilltoppers (6-3, 1-0 Sun Belt Conference) received 20 points from Orlando Mendez-Valdez, who shot 7-for-11 from the field. Jeremy Evans chipped in with 12 points and two blocked shots.
Domonic Tilford scored a game-high 30 points for the Jaguars (6-5, 0-1). He shot 9 of 16 from the field and 7 of 11 from 3-point range. LaShun Watson and DeAndre Coleman added 10 points apiece for South Alabama.
The Jaguars outrebounded Western Kentucky 35-31, but shot only 57.1 percent from the free-throw line (8-for-14).
The Hilltoppers shot 48.2 percent from the field (27-for-56), and 43.8 percent from 3-point range (7-for-16).
- Rick Pitino calls UConn to ACC ‘dumbest thing I’ve ever heard’
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons