Va. Commonwealth beats Akron 73-69
RICHMOND, Va. (AP)Eric Maynor scored 19 of his 30 points in the second half, helping Virginia Commonwealth beat Akron 73-69 on Wednesday night.
Kiril Pischalnikov and Joey Rodriguez scored nine points apiece for the Rams, and Pischalnikov grabbed a game-high 12 boards.
Anthony Hitchens led five Zips in double figures with 14 points. Chris McKnight added 13, brother Brett McKnight and Nate Linhart had 12 apiece and Steve McNees chipped in 10.
Maynor sparked a 19-6 Virginia Commonwealth run during the first half with nine points, two rebounds, two steals and an assist. The Rams (7-3) led 29-20 with 4:18 left in the first.
After Linhart hit a field goal for the Zips (6-4), the Rams scored the final nine points of the half to take a 38-22 edge at the break.
Virginia Commonwealth hit 16 of its last 17 free throws and outrebounded Akron 34-27 in the contest.
- 7-foot-4 Sim Bhullar jilts Xavier in favor of New Mexico State
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- Jordan Mathews' go-ahead 3-pointer propels Gonzaga into the Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment