Cincinnati beats Charleston Southern 74-55
CINCINNATI (AP)—Freshman Yancy Gates scored a career-high 18 points Monday night, and Mike Williams had a double-double as Cincinnati rebounded from a stinging loss to its crosstown rival with a 74-55 victory over Charleston Southern.
Cincinnati (7-2) was coming off a 76-66 home-court loss to No. 7 Xavier on Saturday, a rivalry game that drew the Bearcats’ first capacity crowd of the season. Coach Mick Cronin made changes in his starting lineup, notably benching Williams after the senior forward had a subpar game against Xavier. Williams came off the bench and scored 10 and tied his career high with 11 rebounds.
Alvin Mitchell added 16 points and nine rebounds for Cincinnati, which led by single digits for most of the first half before pushing the lead to as many as 22. Charleston Southern (5-4) was led by Jamarco Warren’s 17 points.
- Roy Williams' choice in neckwear may have doomed North Carolina
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims