Virginia Tech beats Longwood 79-57
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP)—A.D. Vassallo scored a game-high 21 points and Jeff Allen recorded a double-double to lead Virginia Tech to a 79-57 win against Longwood on Sunday.
Allen scored 19 and grabbed a game-high 21 boards for the Hokies (6-4), and Terrell Bell and Malcolm Delaney scored 12 points apiece. Vassallo was also 3-for-4 from beyond the arc and Allen blocked three shots.
Dana Smith led the Lancers (5-5) with 13 points, and Antwan Carter added 10.
The Lancers shot just 23.5 percent from the field (8 of 34) in the first half, helping the Hokies jump out to a 37-21 lead at the break. Longwood was a bit more accurate in the second, but Virginia Tech shot 52 percent (13 of 25) in the half to keep comfortably ahead.
The Hokies outrebounded the Lancers 52-27 en route to victory.
- Prominent Memphis summer coach also a wanted fugitive
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner
- Florida freshman Bassett to miss season with stress fracture
- Izzo isn't sure what to expect from new-look Michigan State
- Eustachy to remain with Colorado St. through 2020-21 season
- NC State hires ex-Kansas State coach Asbury as analyst