Virginia Tech beats Longwood 79-57
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP)—A.D. Vassallo scored a game-high 21 points and Jeff Allen recorded a double-double to lead Virginia Tech to a 79-57 win against Longwood on Sunday.
Allen scored 19 and grabbed a game-high 21 boards for the Hokies (6-4), and Terrell Bell and Malcolm Delaney scored 12 points apiece. Vassallo was also 3-for-4 from beyond the arc and Allen blocked three shots.
Dana Smith led the Lancers (5-5) with 13 points, and Antwan Carter added 10.
The Lancers shot just 23.5 percent from the field (8 of 34) in the first half, helping the Hokies jump out to a 37-21 lead at the break. Longwood was a bit more accurate in the second, but Virginia Tech shot 52 percent (13 of 25) in the half to keep comfortably ahead.
The Hokies outrebounded the Lancers 52-27 en route to victory.
- Virginia Tech beats Longwood 79-57
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested,' and 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare