VMI beats Southern Wesleyan 113-94
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Chavis Holmes scored 26 points and Travis Holmes added 21 to help Virginia Military Institute beat Southern Wesleyan 113-94 on Saturday.
Reserve Keith Gabriel, who shot 4 of 6 from beyond the 3-point line, had 20 points for the Keydets (8-2). VMI jumped out to a 19-7 lead in the first half on a layup by Holmes, who shot 9 of 13 from the field and made all seven of his free throws.
The Warriors (4-7) cut the lead to 19-14 on a jumper by Bryon Wimphrie, who scored 18 points. But Southern Wesleyan would not pull closer, as the Keydets outscored the Warriors 26-11 over a six minute span to claim a 45-25 advantage on a 3-pointer by Michael Sparks, who finished with 12 points.
VMI held a 65-37 lead at halftime and built a 30-point lead with 18:27 left in the second half.
Nick Lagroone led Southern Wesleyan with 29 points and seven rebounds.
- Gonzaga throttles Xavier to send Mark Few to his first Final Four
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself