Drake beats Georgia Southern 84-73
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Josh Young scored 26 points Friday to lead Drake to an 84-73 win over Georgia Southern in the first round of the Hy-Vee Classic.
Young was 6-for-10 from the field with four 3-pointers and made 10 of 12 free throws for the Bulldogs (8-2). Drake has won six straight games.
Drake led by one point with 4:10 to play, but went on to take a 38-29 lead at the break. The Eagles (3-4) didn’t get closer than 10 points in the last 19:34 of the game.
The Bulldogs shot 46 percent in the both halves and outrebounded the Eagles 40-33.
Craig Stanley added 14 points and Jonathan Cox and Josh Parker had 11 each for Drake.
Georgia Southern got 21 points from Antonio Hanson, who came in averaging 9.2 points. Willie Powers added 14 points, Ben Drayton 12 and Tyler Troupe 11 for the Eagles.
- Drake beats Georgia Southern 84-73
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2