E. Illinois 76, Evansville 80
EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP)—Jason Holsinger scored 31 points and Evansville defeated Eastern Illinois 80-76 on Wednesday night.
Holsinger made 6 of 12 3-pointers and all seven of his free throws. Shy Ely scored 15 points and James Haarsma added 10 for the Purple Aces (6-1).
T.J. Marion scored 27 points and Romain Martin added 26 for Eastern Illinois. They combined to shoot 20-for-32 from the field for the Panthers (2-6).
Eastern Illinois shot 50 percent from the field in the game, but Evansville outscored the Panthers 23-11 from the free-throw line.
Evansville jumped out to a 12-2 advantage and led by as many as 14 points in the first half before settling for a 45-37 edge at the break.
Eastern Illinois cut its deficit to 53-51 on a 3-pointer by Billy Parrish with just over 14 minutes to play, but the Panthers got no closer.
- Kentucky players stomp on Louisville Cardinal? Uh-oh
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Jordan Mathews' go-ahead 3-pointer propels Gonzaga into the Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment