Virginia Military Institute defeats Campbell 88-76
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Chavis Holmes scored 23 points and Virginia Military Institute defeated Campbell 88-76 on Tuesday night.
The Keydets (7-2) led 39-38 at halftime, before hitting four straight 3-pointers for a 55-38 lead with 14:47 remaining. Campbell (2-4) turned the ball over six times during its first nine posessions of the second half.
The Keydets scored 39 points off of Campbell’s 26 turnovers in their second win over the Camels this season.
Austin Kenon added 15 points for VMI, followed by Travis Holmes with 13 and Keith Gabriel with 11.
Travis, the Big South Player of the Week, also tallied seven steals.
VMI, which leads the nation in scoring (103.6 points per game), scored fewer than 90 points for only the second time this season, including the first in a win.
Amir Celestin led Campbell with 17 points and Jabril Bailey added 15.
- UCLA can still contend next year despite Tyler Honeycutt’s exit
- Tar Heels ready for Final Four push after title-game loss
- Freshman class makes Duke a title favorite once again
- Gottfried hopes offseason changes get Wolfpack back to NCAAs
- UNC: Pinson out indefinitely with broken bone in right foot
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth