Va. Commonwealth beats William & Mary 66-50
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP)—Joey Rodriguez scored a career high 20 points and Virginia Commonwealth defeated William & Mary 66-50 on Saturday night.
The Rams (5-3, 1-0 Colonial Athletic Conference) outscored William & Mary (3-6, 0-1) 31-14 in the game’s final 14 minutes, breaking open a close game.
A 3-pointer by David Schneider put the Tribe ahead 36-34 with 14:08 to play, but the Rams defense clamped down, giving up just four more baskets the rest of the way.
Virginia Commonwealth stretched their lead to 21 on a 3-pointer by Eric Maynor with 3:53 remaining. Maynor finished the game with 15 points.
William and Mary cut a 12-deficit to eight with 9:28 to play, but Rodriguez sandwiched two 3-pointers around a three-point play by Maynor to push the advantage to 16.
Danny Sumner led the Tribe with 18 points.
- TNT's Reggie Miller excited for college broadcasting debut
- Creighton's 113-58 win over Lancers biggest margin since '02
- McBrayer scores 18 as Minnesota overpowers Georgia Southern
- Wake beats UNC Greensboro 78-75 on late Crawford 3
- Sophomore center Sima to transfer from St. John's
- Peter Jok scores 23, Iowa upsets No. 25 Iowa State 78-64