Va. Commonwealth beats William & Mary 66-50
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP)—Joey Rodriguez scored a career high 20 points and Virginia Commonwealth defeated William & Mary 66-50 on Saturday night.
The Rams (5-3, 1-0 Colonial Athletic Conference) outscored William & Mary (3-6, 0-1) 31-14 in the game’s final 14 minutes, breaking open a close game.
A 3-pointer by David Schneider put the Tribe ahead 36-34 with 14:08 to play, but the Rams defense clamped down, giving up just four more baskets the rest of the way.
Virginia Commonwealth stretched their lead to 21 on a 3-pointer by Eric Maynor with 3:53 remaining. Maynor finished the game with 15 points.
William and Mary cut a 12-deficit to eight with 9:28 to play, but Rodriguez sandwiched two 3-pointers around a three-point play by Maynor to push the advantage to 16.
Danny Sumner led the Tribe with 18 points.
- Maryland defeats Wake Forest 70-64
- NCAA rules Florida's Gak ineligible to play in 2016-17
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan
- Alabama AD completes cancer treatment, cleared to go home