Waginger scores 5 of his 20 points in OT to lead Catamounts, 89-84
KENT, Ohio (AP)—Brigham Waginger scored 20 points, including five in overtime, to lead Western Carolina to an 89-84 victory over Kent State on Saturday night.
Kent State’s Al Fisher hit a foul shot with 7 seconds left to tie the game at 77-77 and force the overtime.
In the extra period, Waginger hit a layup to put Western Carolina (4-2) ahead 84-81 only to have Chris Singletary, who led Kent State (3-5) with 29 points, hit a 3-pointer to tie it.
But Harouna Mutombo, who had 16 points, hit two foul shots with 1:17 remaining before Waginger hit two clinching free throws with 14 seconds left and then added another with a second remaining.
Jake Robinson had 18 points and Brandon Giles added 16 for the Catamounts.
Brandon Parks scored 22 points and Fisher had 12 for Kent State.
- Marcus Jordan leads Central Florida to its biggest win ever
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67