South Alabama holds on to beat Maine 71-59
MOBILE, Ala. (AP)—LaShun Watson scored 13 of his career-high 15 points in the first half to lead South Alabama to a 71-59 victory over Maine on Friday night.
Watson also grabbed seven rebounds to help the Jaguars (3-3) snap a two-game losing streak in the opening round of the USA Basketball Classic.
South Alabama will face UC Davis in Saturday’s championship game.
The Jaguars built a 40-20 halftime advantage as Maine (3-3) started off 3 of 13 from the field.
Mark Socoby scored 28 points to lead the Black Bears, who hit three 3-pointers at the start of the second half to cut the lead to 44-31 with 16:42 left.
Brandon Davis, who led the Jaguars with 18 points, had 12 points and six rebounds in the second half. Domonic Tilford added 15 points and a career-high seven assists and DeAndre Coleman collected 11 points and six boards.
- Jones gets 24, Baylor beats Oklahoma State 76-57
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69