Baylor beats Providence with Rogers’ 16 points
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP)—Kevin Rogers had 16 points and seven rebounds before fouling out to help Baylor beat Providence 72-56, in the first round of the 76 Classic.
Thursday night’s game was the first of the season on the road for both teams.
Baylor (5-0) will now play No. 14 Arizona State (4-0), a 84-56 winner over Charlotte (1-4), in the semifinals while Providence (3-2) will play Charlotte.
LaceDarius Dunn had 12 points for Baylor while Weyinmi Efejuku led Providence with 16 points and eight rebounds.
The Bears overcame 23 turnovers by shooting 49.0 percent and out-rebounding the Friars 47-33.
Marshon Brooks, Jeff Xavier and Jonathan Kale added 10 points each for the Friars, which made just 27.4 of its field goals.
Providence shot 22. 6 percent from the field in the first half and got out-rebounded by 10 to trail 36-22 at halftime.
- The women's Final Four gets high marks in ugly court design
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78