La Salle beats Valpo in OT, 75-70
CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands (AP)—Jerrell Williams scored 19 points, Yves Mekongo Mbala had 17 points and La Salle needed overtime to beat Valparaiso 75-70 on Monday at the Paradise Jam.
The Explorers, coming off a 76-72 overtime loss to Southern Mississippi in the tournament’s second round, took seventh place in the eight-team tournament here.
Kimmani Barrett scored 16 points for La Salle, which shot 38.8 percent for the game but dominated overtime with 75 percent shooting.
Valpo was led by De’Andre Haskins, who had a game-high 20 points on 6-for-9 shooting from the field, and Benjamin Fumey added 17 points and seven rebounds.
Valparisso had a 28-20 advantage in points in the paint, but sent La Salle to the free throw line 43 times, where the Explorers picked up 30 points.
The two teams last faced each other in 1958.
- California 76, No Carolina St 74 (ot)
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63
- Emery propels BYU past San Francisco 114-89
- DeCosey scores 23, Temple rallies to beat UConn 63-58
- Louisiana-Monroe knocks off Arkansas-Little Rock 86-82
- Boise State tries to rebound from controversial ending