Marshall defeats WVU Tech 110-57
HUNTINGTON, W.V. (AP)—Shaquille Johnson scored 19 points to pace Marshall in a 110-57 blowout of West Virginia Tech on Sunday in its season opener.
Johnson was one of five Thundering Herd players to score in double figures, as Markel Humphrey and Chris Lutz added 14 each. Johnson also hit 4 of 5 from behind the arc.
Sam Robertson scored 24 points and Victor McGee added 12 for the Golden Bears, who counted the game as an exhibition.
After taking a 21-point lead into halftime, the Thundering Herd outscored the Golden Bears 61-29 in the second half and shot 60.5 percent (23 of 38) from the field in the frame. Marshall also capitalized on 23 turnovers and grabbed 34 defensive rebounds compared to 16 for the Golden Bears in the game.
- San Diego State coach unhappy about losing recruit to Kansas
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69