Louisiana-Monroe edges Morehead St. 56-54
MONROE, La. (AP)—Tony Hooper scored five points in the last 54 seconds to lift Louisiana-Monroe over Morehead State 56-54 on Friday night.
The Warhawks (1-0), who lost their final five games last season along with an exhibition lost to William Carey, overcame a 10-point halftime deficit. Jarvis Hill had 22 points for Louisiana-Monroe while Hooper added 14. Rudy Turner came off the bench for Louisiana-Monroe to score 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting from the field. Afam Nweke grabbed eight rebounds.
Morehead State failed to score in the final 1:59 of the game. Demonte Harper missed a jumper at the buzzer that would have tied the score.
Robert Murry led the Eagles (0-1) with 14 points, followed by Leon Buchanan with 13. Morehead State’s Kenneth Faried had the only double-double, with 10 points and 10 rebounds before fouling out.
- Roy Williams insists dizzy spells are no big deal
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne