Vassallo leads Virginia Tech to easy NIT win over UAB
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP)—A.D. Vassallo scored 18 points as Virginia Tech came out strong and never looked back, beating UAB 75-49 in the second round of the NIT Monday.
The Hokies (21-13) will play a quarterfinal game at home Wednesday against Mississippi.
Two baskets by J.T. Thompson, sandwiched around a pair of free throws by Hank Thorns, gave the Hokies a 23-point edge at 53-30 with 12:24 left to play. Virginia Tech stretched it to 28 with 3:33 to play, allowing the Hokies to empty their bench.
Tech forced 16 turnovers and scored 23 points off those Blazer miscues.
Up 17-7 just three minutes into the game, the Hokies ended the first half up 36-21. UAB’s offensive attack was hampered early by two fouls in the first 3:05 on leading scorer Robert Vaden, who shot just 1 for 9 from the floor before the break.
Vaden finished with nine points for the Blazers (23-11). Reggie Huffman led UAB with 10.
Malcolm Delaney scored 17 and Deron Washington 16 for Virginia Tech.
- Graves scores 26 as No. 25 Butler beats Indiana St. 76-48
- Jok scores 23 to lead No. 5 Iowa past Illinois, 77-65
- Brooks scores 30 as No. 16 Oregon beats Utah 76-66
- Miller, Purvis lead UConn to 85-67 win over East Carolina
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win