Vereen leads UTA to Southland final in 72-66 win over Sam Houston
KATY, Texas (AP)—Anthony Vereen scored 20 points to lead Texas-Arlington to a 72-66 win over Sam Houston State in the semifinals of the Southland Conference tournament Friday night.
Rog’er Guignard added 17 points, eight rebounds and four assists for the seventh-seeded Mavericks, who will make their fourth appearance in the SLC tournament finals Sunday.
Texas-Arlington (20-11) has never won the tournament.
The Mavericks shot 50 percent from the field and went 7-of-16 on 3-pointers, including 5-of-9 from Guignard.
Sam Houston (23-8), the third seed, was led by forward Ryan Bright’s 19 points and 13 rebounds, his second double-double in as many tournament games.
Post John Gardiner added 12 points for the Bearkats, who shot 41 percent, including 9-of-25 from 3-point range.
Sam Houston led 40-37 at half before Texas-Arlington went on an 18-2 run to start the second half.
Sam Houston was within three at 69-66 with 13.8 seconds left, but Texas-Arlington sealed the game on free throws.
- Vereen leads UTA to Southland final in 72-66 win over Sam Houston
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown