Murphy’s 22 points lift Norfolk State to MEAC tourney win
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Tony Murphy scored 22 of his game-high 29 points in the second half to lead Norfolk State to a 69-61 victory over Florida A&M in the quarterfinals of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament Thursday night.
The third-seeded Spartans (16-14) advanced to a Friday night semifinal vs. seventh-seeded Coppin State (14-20).
Murphy scored the last eight points for the Spartans and 11 of their final 14 after Norfolk State took the lead for good at 56-55 with 4:33 remaining on a free throw by backup center Joseph Dorsett-Jeffreys.
It was also Jeffreys’ blocked shot the Rattlers’ Lamar Twitty with less than a minute left that allowed Norfolk State to hold onto the lead. Murphy then nailed the victory with six straight free throws.
The Spartans led by 10 (18-10) with 8:57 left in the half before the sixth-seeded Rattlers (15-17) went on a 15-5 run in the next five minutes to take a 25-23 lead. But Norfolk State finished the half with an 8-3 run of its own to lead 31-28 at halftime.
Twitty scored 19 points and Leslie Robinson 18 for Florida A&M.
- Justice, sort of: Houston's Coleman gets one-game suspension
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne